Thursday, November 03, 2005

Citizen of North America - Eight Years in TDot!



Ok it was a year ago that I finally became a landed imigrant to Canada! Thanks to 9/11 it took more than three years and several thousand dollars! But the wait was worth it. Dont get me wrong, I'm as American as they come! Its just that I have been in Toronto for eight years and when your on a work visa, life just isn't a very whole existance. Ok for all the Americans, yeah it can be cold up here in the winter which seems to last a few weeks longer than back home. But in the summer it can be as hot if not hotter than anywhere.... Living on the northern shore of lake Ontario gives the right mix of humidity!

Let me tell you whats great about Toronto, the mix of culture here is amazing... North Americas biggest Pride fest in June and Caribana at the begining of August are the perfect book ends to the summer. Un like the melting pot that is America, the people of Canada live life as a mozaic, each welcome to live their cultural life to the fullest. And while there are some culturaly specific areas, most live in a kewl mix! Everyone lives with equal rights under the law here, up to and including the right to marry, no matter who you choose to love! While taxes are higher than back home in Detroit, I have socialized health care, which came in real handy when I had my gal bladder removed last year ....no bill ...zip ...zero! If you want to talk about feeling safe, the numbers speak for themselves, Last year Detroit a city of 1 million recorded hundreds of murders, so far this year Toronto is just over 60, which is increadible for a city of 4 million! It just feels different not having to walk around with your guard up.

With that said I do miss back home, mostly the food, Coney Dogs (not in Canada!) Soul Food! (Caribien food, close but not there). I miss my family and my friends all the time! Lucky for me that I have had good friends which transend the distance!
Ok nuff about that...next post we get back to the photography! PS. The city scape is what I wake up to everyday! gotta love it!

No comments: