Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mothers Day Epiphany


I'd like to say that Mothers Day was spent spent-having dinner with the family, having a good time... This year it was not to be as Mom became drastically ill shortly before the weekend. I made my way back to Grand Rapids to be there... it was that bad. Each day was spent in the waiting room or being by her bedside, letting her know we were there. Chatting with my father, brothers, sisters and in-laws... we re-shared many good stories and moments throughout the weekend. On Sunday... Mothers Day, Mother was better, could understand us... tried to talk but was only able to mouth the words she was speaking due to the respirator. She told me that she loved me and that I was not to forget that... I told her the same. It was then that I really became scared in a deeper way, I cant explain why, I just was.

My brother brought his daughter in the room.. the youngest in the family. Its no secret that Mother is taken with her in every-way, but when she came into the room in my brothers arms Mother lit up like someone had just rejuvenated her from her illness...arms outstretched, IV's and all. I caught the look in her face and was struck by what I saw in her eyes. In an instant it took me back all 46 years! I had seen that look before, a look only a mother could give... more importantly it told me everything a son could hope for ...the pure love of a Mother. The look of hope for the future. Mother is a little better today due in-part to the youngest member of our clan.

1 comment:

Morisset said...

STUNNING!

Much light to your mom and family. I hope your ok during this time also.

Ocean