Sunday, March 18, 2007

Phalogocentrix


This past week I have been exposed to what seems like a whole new world of ideas and perspectives. Wednesday I had the opportunity to show my work to class of undergrads studying black queer theory at U of T. I was enthralled by the dialog the class was having and enjoyed the opportunity to discuss my work with people on yet another level. Saturday there was somewhat of a first for me I attended a piece of performance art held at the Music Gallery/St. George-the-Martyr Anglican Church in Toronto. I did not carry a formal camera with me but was so compelled by the piece that I employed my cell phone camera.

Phalogocentrix is a performance about language and the way it forms and informs our culture. Vancouver-based artist David Khang interrogates constructions and performativity of language that is at once gendered (phallocentric) and culturally specific (logocentric). Part calligraphy, part yoga, and part breakdancing, this syncretic ritual explores African and Asian cultural connectivities, within the theological context of a church. By bringing together traditional and contemporary cultural references, as well as trans-diasporic identities, this work is an attempt to further critical understanding of the relationships between race, gender, and language.








For more on the performance, check out Blackfagnorth

Note: All images and text (not specified) is copyrighted by Christopher Cushman. This site does not specify or denote the sexual orientation of any model and as such please post your comments accordingly.

No comments: