Monday, December 05, 2005

Spontaneity



There have been moments when I had my camera in had, and someone would come up tome and ask if I would take their pictures. Usually I would oblige by setting up a time and place to meet, talk about what they were looking for and then shoot or set a second visit for taking the images. It’s clearly been important to my work that I get to know the person before I take the picture. I want to know what makes them tick, what their personality is like, understand their character. It’s the soul of the person I wish to capture in my images. A single photograph has the ability to tell a story, one with out any words, a story that has depth.

I had previously met Jonathan at a party… He turned out to be a friend of a friend and seemed to be pretty kewl. I was still surprised that one day while at the park he asked if I wanted to take his pictures. I had the time and figured it couldn’t hurt… Over the course of the next two hours we walked and chatted while stopping in and around some interesting spots in the park. With out giving instruction, he posed for several photographs, I can only assume he saw in his minds eye. For me it was a change in my comfort zone. I was shooting not knowing what he would do next. The more we walked the more interesting the images became, it seemed he was trying to improve from one pose to another with me just trying to keep up.

The result was a series of images, which I still count on as some of my best. Derived from a photographic form of sexual tension borne from the spontaneous moment. Adding to the tension that day was a stream of people who became more than curious during the shoot. In the moment I was fairly upset at having a voyeuristic gallery following us around the park like it was a PGA event. But Jonathan didn’t seem to care and eventually I gave up on caring as well… I often wonder what they thought was going on that day… The park was normally pretty cruisy but this must have come off way over the top.

I still see Jonathan from time to time… and yeah he’s still the same kewl dude.

No comments: