Saturday, December 31, 2005

Out with the old.....


So many things to let go of this year.... I haven't feel this much sadness since the high point of the a.i.d.s. crisis when I was losing 10-15 friends a year. While far fewer the losses this year were bigger and I can tell, I have not let go of some of these feelings. Well I need to let go tonight... To my friend Montrice... till I see you again on the other side, Ill try to remember and live with some of the class you so exemplified in your life... Until then.

So many things to embrace this year.... While I did not change my career I did get a new job after 20+ years working for Ford Motor Company. My new job in the travel industry could not be further away from what I did for so long. What I was able to learn in this year is that what I have learned over all these years I could use in any scenario. My value proposition in the work place is limited only by my own imagination.

I don't know where Im going this year but I feel new beginnings all around me and that is good to feel on New Years Eve.

Tonight's image has always been special to me. Again taken at the Detroit Train Station, on the loading - unloading docks. Large slabs of concrete which make up the roof over head, with large gaps in the center of each section of track. This is where the water could drain and the exhaust of the steam or coal driven trains could vent. On this day I did something I rarely did during a shoot, I posed the model. I could see something he couldn't, the seemingly endless tracks of sun light through the openings. I posed Alan in the center of the closest rectangle of light in a contemplative position. The photo is meant to depict the our journey through life with many points of and moments along the way... With Alan posed in the center path and paths to the right or left belonging to the life of others or perhaps possible paths unexplored by him.

It seemed the appropriate image for tonight. On new Years Eve we all contemplate the course of the past year and what path to take to the future.

No comments: