Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 Five Years After


Today is 9/11, a date everyone will remember. They will remember what they were doing five years ago today because five years ago a group of people choose to fly airplane's into the World Trade Center buildings and into the Pentagon, and its a day that one group was foiled by the planes passengers as they flew into a field in Pennsylvania. The entire world changed on 9/11 and it soon became apparent that the buildings were only the secondary target, the primary being our way of life.

Not being one to fly, months later I experienced the tensions caused by the three check point requirement at Toronto's Person Airport as I boarded the first Air Canada flight allowed into Reagan National in Washington DC. So tight were the restrictions as to not even allow any of us out of our seats for the whole flight, not even for the bathroom, the penalty being that the plane would be routed back to Toronto! We landed near sunset as we passed the still scared Pentagon, Lincoln and Washington Monuments and Capitol buildings, my mind searching for what it must have been like for those who lost there life that day. The hour and a half flight made me weary and a bit sad.

I wanted to post two pictures today that were given to me shortly after 9/11. They were taken by my friend Michael who had just returned from visiting NY and ground zero. Having not yet been to ground zero, I was captivated by some of the symbolism in the photographs. The first image is about a block from ground zero on ironically, Liberty Street, a one way sign seems to be pointing in opposition to the directions sign on the scaffolding showing the way to the WTC viewing platform. A New York Fire Department Ambulance in the fore ground. Our sense of liberty which once seemed all encompassing, was now used against us as weapon.

The second photo captures one of thousands of memorials created/ collaborated on my the many people who visited the site. The yellow caution tape still surrounding the site. These pictures have meant allot to me over the last five years as they have been part of my own small alter created in the memory of those who passed on 9/11 and the world and way of life that passed on 9/11.

I moved from my home in Detroit in 1998 to come to Canada, to make a new life for myself. Living in Canada has allowed me to witness these world events from somewhat of an out side looking in perspective. My immigration delayed almost 3 years by the changes caused by that day. The armed National Guard troops often stationed at the Detroit/Windsor boarder keep the unforgivable events of 9/11 with me, I still feel sad for those who were lost, and I carry anger for those who changed our world in so many ways and I wonder... what is yet to come.
All images and written word are copyrighted by Christopher Cushman 2006

No comments: