Sunday, October 23, 2005

Perfection Amidst the Chaos




The back side of a romance is usually not a good place to be. The old saying that “people are in your life for season or a reason or for life” was never a truer concept with Aaron. Aaron was both younger in age and older in experience compared to me, our relationship together lasted more than four years. It was my first long term relationship and I am happy to say, lasts through to this day with a strong friendship, I guess I can say in this case for a reason and for life! I recently reposted these pictures into my photoblog as I honed a newer technique for replicating a softer sepia tone than I have used in the past. Re-working the images brought back some thoughts of the day we took them. Aaron was quite excited to have his picture taken if not a little perturbed that I had not asked him before. I had not taken these or many others like them while we were together and I remember in that session of being in a different place than I normally am when taking pictures, it was more comfortable than most sessions and we worked together with more of a special agreement than other models. It may come as a surprise to most that I don’t have intimate relationships with many of my models, one because some are straight and two because there is a positive tension involved when there hasn’t been that closeness. As a note to location, these images were taken at the old 15th street Michigan Central Train Station (Think Union Station in NY or Toronto) Large and very opulent building from a by-gone era, left gutted of anything valuable, to rot. This sometimes home to the homeless had an unlimited pallet of backgrounds from which to shoot privately… But more than that, the decay of the building created a new kind of contrast for me to use, the image of the human body’s seamless perfection against the sometimes chaotic backdrop of an old yet elegant building. I’m sure I could make other analogies but Ill save them for future installments.

1 comment:

Morisset said...

I love this series and the way the images are juxtaposed. Nice work and I like the male nude painting (holding the flower). Work it out brotha!