Thursday, February 09, 2006

Two Harry's in One


Tonight I thought I would talk about the use of shadow in my photography. This is an image of Harry in the stair well of my old apartment building in the west village of Detroit. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon and the sun is coming through a window that had a light frosted surface. When I was composing the image I was struck at the shadow he was casting. Not one harry but two, infact some of the definition Harry works so hard on which was lost by the light was recaptured in the shadow on the wall. The horizontal and lateral frame of the window pains are cast across the front of his body and thus carrying the additional definition of his chest. This technique proved very successful and I began to use this more an more in my images as a way of subtly adding dimension to my models.

No comments: