Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A Full Life Lived - RIP Grandma


My Grandmother passed on today after living a long and happy life. While she was ill she passed in her sleep which was appropriate and appreciated. I am sad for so many reasons, but not so much for this, she was ready, she wanted to go. On my last visit with her she was blunt about it, "I've done everything I wanted to do and I'm ready to go". I was taken back initially but then I thought about what it must be like to live so long. Most everyone she knew was gone, she was lonely and I'd like to think she missed Grandpa.

This was my fathers mother and she came from a long line of long lived people. As such it is the historical aspect of my family that brings me so many memories. My Grandmother knew great uncle Lorenzo who fought in the Civil War for the north. She was a daughter of the American Revolution and her family landed here at Plymouth Rock on a small ship called the Mayflower.


Many of my fondest memories surround my birthday parties which she was allays there. On my 10th birthday she signed me up for an art contest at Kennedy Square in down town Detroit. When I won the contest that day I knew what I wanted to be, an artist. She was different from my other grandmother who in as much liked to take me shopping for cloths, this grandmother took me on short day trips of exploration. Opening my eyes up places like the Detroit Institute of Arts, The Main Library where I saw the famous Diego Rivera Murals, the Detroit Historical Museum and Science Centre. She signed me up for one day classes in things like Ukrainian Easter Egg decoration and drawing. Standing on Woodward in front of the Vernor's Ginger Ale plant watching through the windows. My fondest of childhood memories of a vibrant downtown Detroit which to this day inform my staunch belief in the city. She imparted a sense of exploration in me that I cherish to this day.


Grandma was married to Grandpa for over 60 years! He was quiet and sometimes seemingly hard man of few words but I knew he loved her. He has been gone for quite some time now.


Gram and me from her birthday a couple years ago...

Here is Grandmother and my cousin Ted who spoke a my mothers funeral in 2007

My last visit with her at her home in Huntington Woods a suburb of Detroit. I love this photo, it was a good day. She had baked me the chicken pie she knew I liked and I got to tell her how much all of our adventures around Detroit had meant to me. It was a really good day....

Note: All images and text (not specified) is copyrighted by Christopher Cushman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sad - sorry Chris. lovely post tho

Joe

Nigel said...

She totally gave you your cheek bones!

Anonymous said...

that was a lovely tribute to your grandmother