Sunday, September 03, 2006

R.I.P. Willi Ninja





I remember taking the four hour drive to Chicago from Detroit in the fall of 1990, the trip had a single purpose for me and my friends... to see Paris is Burning. A documentary about the Black Gay ball rooming scene in NY. It was an imperative to go as Chicago was the closest the film would come to us.

I can say we were not disappointed, and the film carried us through the early 90's and is attached to so many nights at Heaven where dancing in the circle, and voguing was continually being perfected each evening.

So its particularly sad that I wake up this morning to find out from a friend that Willi Ninja (“Paris is Burning” and “How Do I Look”) passed away Saturday, Willi a legendary ballroom figure, had recently stepped forward as yet another one of our beloved family members living with HIV. Commonly referred to as the Grandfather of Vogue, he was featured in the 90’s documentary “Paris Is Burning,” which introduced the world to voguing. Yes, it was Willi and not Madonna. SNAP! Many consider Paris is Burning to be an invaluable documentary of the end of the "Golden Age" of New York City drag balls. And to date is still one of the highest grossing documentaries of all time.

So yet another one is taken from us and I am left to wonder, is Paris still burning?

1 comment:

Morisset said...

Somewhere in my archives is a photo i took of him at the House of Latex Ball at Roseland last year, but damn, I REALLY gotta search for that one. Willi wasa classy and "real" brotha. A true pioneering artist. R.I.P. Willi Ninja!