Monday, October 12, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009



Woke up to a spectacular daybreak on this Canadian Thanksgiving holiday. I've posted the view from my balcony many times before, mostly because I find it spectacular but when I wake up to the beauty of a sunrise I am reminded just how fortunate I am in this life... and I am truly thankful for all of my family and friends, a great job and the many opportunities that come my way personally and professionally! I am blessed.

For those of you in the good ole USA who celebrate Thanksgiving on the third Thursday of November and consider American thanksgiving as the original started by the Plymouth Pilgrims in 1621...its not. Various First Nations in Canada had long-standing traditions celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops. Canada's First Nations and Native Americans throughout the Americas, including the Pueblo, Cherokee, Cree and many others organized harvest festivals, ceremonial dances, and other celebrations of thanks for centuries before the arrival of Europeans in North America.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving was not for harvest but homecoming. He had safely returned from a search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. The feast was one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations by Europeans in North America and 43 years earlier than the Pilgrims. However as a recognized civic holiday Thanksgiving didn't come to Canada until made law on January 31st 1957

Note: All images and text (not specified) is copyrighted by Christopher Cushman. This site does not specify or denote the sexual orientation of any model and as such please post your comments accordingly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your skyline shots continue to amaze me Chris...oh I got an idea..hehe...you love me right bro? An idea you've done in the past but different..again beautiful skyline shot!!!!