Monday, August 20, 2012

Javon And The Mighty Train Station





























When I first saw these images several months ago as part of Mooremag #3 I was once again drawn to the 15th street train station in Detroit.  These images had in some ways eclipsed some of my own images shot almost 25 years ago.  I had never worked up the courage to climb to the top of the station as my fear of heights just wouldn't allow me to muster the journey.  Seeing Javon in the silhouette image above drew me into the story of Detroit.  A story of overcoming adversity and surviving at all costs.. Javon stands alone as a triumphant of his climb to the top. He stands naked to the the city... not offering any voyeuristic exposure but expressing his humanity amongst the defiant edifice of Detroit.  Much has been said about the ruins of Detroit.  Many try to create images of the crumbling architecture but few juxtapose it against the race of those who built it.  These images are stunning.  As I have not been able to shoot in the building in a long time I have created imagined images of Javon via photoshop... I hope to shoot there yet again before the building is removed permanently.



































































Note: The first seven images and the backgrounds of the last two were shot by Dave Humphrey.  The final two images were imagined creations by myself.  All other images and text (not specified) is copyrighted by Christopher Cushman. This site does not specify or denote the sexual orientation of any model and as such please post your comments accordingly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought for sure, some of the images were shot on location. Fooled me. Then again, your expertise in Photoshop is quite impressive to say the least. The pics are stunning Chris..great Job!!