Sunday, March 02, 2008

Spencer Tunick

I picked up the documentary Naked World by Spencer Tunick an American photographer/artist who has traveled the world in a quest to photograph nudes in a very unique way. I found myself intrigued in his mission as an artist. The purpose of some art is to call into question some of the things we perceive in life and to evaluate and re-think what is acceptable and what is not. While I would never be interested in actually photographing people in this manner, I have signed up to participate if Spencer ever comes to Toronto!



Naked World


On a global scale this documentary follows the celebrated and controversial artist Spencer Tunick on his latest, most ambitious project: a one-year trek to all seven continents to take photographs of naked people, individually and in groups, against various man-made and natural backdrops. Over the course of one year, all seven continents (including Antarctica - BRRRRR!) and nine countries (Canada, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Russia, Australia, Japan, South Africa and Brazil), Tunick and his crew map out an ambitious agenda that says as much about the cultures he encounters as it does about the subjects and landmarks he photographs. The film questions what nakedness means to people in different countries and climates, both geographic and political, and underscores just how volatile the debate about nudity as a legitimate art form can be.

Statement by Spencer Tunick on public nudity and art

Sometimes I feel like I am an explorer,
sometimes I feel like I am a criminal,
sometimes I feel like I am an artist.
I create my work under very stressful conditions.
While a lot of work done by contemporary artists
is very controversial,
I feel that my nudes are not controversial.
The controversy lies in the fact that I am using the city as my landscape.
The conditions in which I create my work
are tense, crazed and unpredictable.
My models are urban adventurers.
I assist them in seeing the world in a different way.
I create dreams and I create memories
that they will hold with them forever.


Spencer TunickMay 30, 1997

Tonights image is a composite what if image made from two images I took at separate times.
Note: All images and text (not specified) is copyrighted by Christopher Cushman. This site does not specify or denote the sexual orientation of any model and as such please post your comments accordingly.

No comments: