Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Charles in Charge


Its been about ten years since I did any work for Men of Color a Detroit Mens Motivational group. I along with my friend Curtis Lipscomb used to produce the MOC Motivator. We treated our task like it was a high gloss mag.. Curtis would scheme the content and the written word, I worked on the look and feel and the imagery including all of the photographs. This was an extraordinary opportunity to hone my skills in more of a documentarian way. I am first and foremost interested in capturing the character or soul of a person. Each month we would feature one of the board members of MOC, get to know them in a deeper way. Charles was on the board and as he worked in the area of A.I.D.S. out reach he had a very interesting take on the state of things in his world... He made things happen for people who really needed help. When I first met Charles I found him initialy very standoffish... that perception did not last very long and I got to know him as someone very sensitive to the needs of others and I always counted on his advise. In this series of pictures I tried to catch all the different moods and moments that spoke to who Charles is... The interview was split between two issues and I used these pictures in exactly the way they are presented here.

No comments: