Monday, January 30, 2006

Leading the way...


Never make the assumption that people in Canada are like Americans, they are not. It’s not a right or wrong thing but one of perspective and priorities. One of the clearest moments was during Toronto pride when I was helping pass out flyers for Detroit’s pride celebration and we were asked why do black people have to have their own pride? While my black companions tried to give a smooth explanation of why it’s just different, I more adamantly gave the poor guy a short yet poignant American history lesson (Something I do quite often living up here;-) While I could appreciate the point of view of the gentleman with the question, the moment illustrated that there is always an opportunity to learn more about another culture. For the last decade there has been a solid pride movement in the city of Detroit. It is one of the fore runners of the black gay pride movements that have been cropping up all over the country. Tonight I have and interview with one of the people who started the more formal pride movement in Detroit and who year after year, like a constant gardener, has grown it into one of the biggest and most well organized events in the country. Not only that but he has taken steps with his peers around the US and Canada to create a global black pride organization. I'm talking with Johnny L. Jenkins Jr (Jy) who shows us there is always strength in numbers.

Epiphany: Ok Jy, thanks for coming on for the interview...

Jy: Thanks for having me.

Epiphany: I understand you currently work for your self? So tell me a little bit about your business NoirAmerica.

Jy: Yes, I've been freelancing for over five years now. I established NoirAmerica to work on creative projects for myself, as well as for my design clients.

Epiphany: What's the hardest part of working for yourself/running your own business?

Jy: I Have to wear many hats, and I always need to be aware of my environment and moods. It get's hard to set the boundaries between business and personal. One day I'll have some staff...lol.

Epiphany: So would you recommend working for yourself to everyone?

Jy: Most definitely. The independence is refreshing and inspiring. You view the world from an empowering perspective, which helps a control freak such as myself push into new frontiers as a creative professional and social scientist.

Epiphany: What words of advice would you have for a young person looking to start his or her own business?

Jy: Have a passion for it. Observe those folk who are successful in the industry or field you'd like to make a mark, then develop a plan of action. That plan of action should result in a good business plan. Then surround yourself with positive people who will support your vision despite any challenges.


Epiphany: Wow! Some great advise!
Epiphany: Moving on to Detroit Black Gay pride: Hotter than July (DBGP: HTJ) how long have you been involved with the movement in Detroit?

Jy: Since I started my coming out process in the early 90's. I became active in a group called Men Of Color Motivational Group in Detroit. From this group Detroit's Hotter Than July was formed as a pride event. I've been fortunate to be in a lead role as an organizer for pride for the past 10 years.


Epiphany: What got you interested in taking on the central role for all these years?

Jy: The possibilities that a spark of pride can instill in a community. My personal development as a black man on a journey to become secure with his sexuality. I decided a long time ago that organizing HTJ! was as much about my personal development as well as that of the community I serve. Each year I've been in an enviable position to observe the progress of a community struggling to empower itself, and to be a part of the fight for human rights and equality.


Epiphany: Well that sounds like a very holistic approach what has been your biggest success to date?
What has been the biggest challenge to date running HTJ?

Jy: My most proud moment is the fact that our community has been able to make Detroit's Hotter Than July the oldest black same-gender-loving pride in the mid-western United States.

Epiphany: and the biggest challenge?

Jy: The biggest challenge has been keeping ego and negative energy in check. Mine as well as others. Encouraging more folk to get involved in the process. It's about collective work, once folk get that fact they take more ownership of pride. I guess that's the other big challenge, the fact that we even need it. Which I strongly believe we do. I'm hearing from young adults in our community who knew about HTJ when they were in high school. Something positive can come from that type of influence.

Epiphany: What will HTJ 2006 look like?

Jy: A lot more polished is the plan. After ten years it's time for the Black Pride Society (BP Society), formally Detroit Black Gay Pride Inc., to take things to the next level. I anticipate an increase in partnerships, high profile talent, and possibly a mini-film festival. We'll also focus on more youth and elder participation. Health and wellness will be a major focus as well. Our HTJ! 2006 theme is "I'm Coming Out Eyes Wide Open".

Epiphany: Fantastic! is this part of taking it to the next level? Is this part of the "International federation of black prides"?

Jy: Well it's Detroit's strategy to improve the quality and significance of our pride. Detroit is a head of the curve when it comes to advocating for SGL rights, nurturing collective works and implementing a plan. We want to develop the local SGL voice (inclusive of all black SGL groups in southeast Michigan), while the Federation is looking to connect all the black SGL prides into a international network of organizers and communities. It's very ambitious, and I'm proud to say that Detroit has been a charter organizer in establishing the mission. There are already black prides across the country that follow our model.

Epiphany: Must be very satisfying being on the forefront! Where do you see the next five years with the pride movement?

Jy: Currently there are 35 prides in the United States and Canada. South Africa will come online in 2007. I foresee that number moving towards 50 with more black prides established in Europe and North America. Over the next five years we plan to build up the capacity of each black pride to service it's community successfully by setting goals and benchmarks for regional, national and international programs.

Epiphany: We here in Canada along with a handful of other countries in the world, South Africa as well as The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and the state of Massachusetts have made Gay Marriage legal, even a larger list of countries offer civil unions... How long before you see the rest of the US follow suit?

Jy: a quarter of a century. I have to sound pessimistic, but there's a lot of bridge building, which must happen before evangelical ignorance will give sway. Sexuality has proven to be such a successful political wedge; the device will be used until the masses are educated thoroughly about issues relating to it. I "hate" to sound...

Epiphany: How much of an issue is gay marriage for the black gay community?

Jy: Only a blip on the radar. Our issues are economic and health. Same-sex marriage is hard to grasp when everyday life issues take precedence. Where still coping with simply being black. Our sexuality will always take second place. Even associating it with basic human rights and equality somewhat falls on a deaf issue. Folk got to eat, and SGL folk continue to maintain families even though evangelicals would like to believe otherwise. Ignorance is bliss.


Epiphany: true that! What get you up in the morning?

Jy: Ambition to experience life as it's thrown at me. A desire to continuously improve the person I am. I'm learning to appreciate the journey as oppose to getting to some final destination. Death is the only destination, and that's not something I'm ready to experience...lol.

Epiphany: What will you be doing in 5 years?

Jy: I'd like to have my M.F.A., afford a staff for NoirAmerica, and introduce more of my artistic work into the universe. I definitely want to get back to traveling outside of the United States.

Epiphany: Sounds like a good plan!... Well I for one would like to thank you for all the years of leadership on HTJ, It’s been great seeing it grow and gain popularity.... Anything else you’d like to say before we conclude?

Jy: Thanks for giving me the opportunity to express myself, and for being supportive. Detroit's Hotter Than July wouldn't be a success without you. Our community appreciates the history and legacy you've caught via your lens. Also thanks for the station breaks in Toronto when I needed some peace of mind...lol.

Epiphany: Thanks it’s been an honor capturing the emergence of greatness! Thanks for coming on!

Jy: Peace & Blessings!

http://www.hotterthanjuly.com/dbgprideinc.htm
http://www.ifbprides.org/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jy is great....love the blog....!!!

Anonymous said...

Jy, I'm happy for you. This is a great interview. it's nice that you get a chance to be so detailed about goals and projects. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

~Where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise.~

i love jonny
really.
from the first day to today.
and i believe that if anyone
can achieve the goals he has set for
htj and bringing the rights of the
sglbt community to the proverbial steps of warshinginton
he can. but not by force.
through commerce. he understands the power of
a great fun good party!!!
there were people who called me from hotter than july and told me
they had a great time...and i was proud to be able to say...i knew the organizer and i was ashamed to say i wasnt there.
maybe this year
there will be less ghost in the machine
and more
pedal to the metal?
im lazy
jonny tho
he
is lovely.
peace >*<

Anonymous said...

Chris , great interview. Thank you for using your forum to, again, highlight the beauty that is Black Men. Jy certainly is inspiring and gives me something else to asprire to.

Be Blessed!

Lou