Friday, October 07, 2005

First Came The Paintings.....







Sometime around 1987 I began to paint portraits using a linen surface crescent board and water-soluble dies. I loved the intense colors of these dies and the ability to layer them on to the board like watercolors. The dyes were transparent and it allowed me to slowly build up the image layer by layer until I began to achieve the ones and highlights in the skin. At first I took pictures from books and magazines, which I thought were compelling images… often black and white images I would re-imagine in full color.

My favorite was Interview Magazine… In the mid to late 80’s interview would introduce me to new and upcoming artists and photographers, Mapplethorpe, Ritts to name a few. Mapplethorpe images were compelling to look at but were devoid of any kind of life as most if not all were in B&W. Here you can see I choose images of Thomas and Dennis from one of Mapplethorpe’s books. The triplet boxers Floyd, Lloyd and Troy was a favorite Herb Ritts image, which while B&W seemed much more interesting in bright yellow silk Everlast boxing shorts and red gloves!

I soon began to take my own images to create paintings of my friends, using Polaroid or 35mm at first just to get the pose I was looking for. I really didn’t care about lighting at first just the set up of the image I was going to paint. Eventually I became more attracted to the photograph as I shot more I started getting better results and the images had a larger variety and the results were more immediate. Many of these paintings have never been finished, and from time to time I pick up the brush and work on them. For now it’s still the photograph I find most appealing!

No comments: