Friday, October 14, 2005

Summer of 1992



While there are so many influential people in my photographic development, there are just a few who I can say helped me as a person in the process. Jerris Madison is one of those who believed in my work and me early on. It’s now the early 90’s and I met Jerris through one of his roommates I was dating at the time. Jerris was living in Detroit’s West Village off Van Dyke and Jefferson with two other roommates. Walking into his personal space you could clearly see that he had a sense of style, knowing him you also got the sense he would have a bigger future than one Detroit could provide.

The pictures in this entry were taken in a little used park just west of the Ambassador Bridge in southwest Detroit. The neighborhood was a conflux of rail hub and automotive industrial parts makers, very Motown. One of the tenants to my photography style was getting the model to pose them selves in ways they had envisioned. Not into the classical/rigid style of Mapplethorpe, it was my hope to capture the essence of each person I would photograph.

Jerris was someone I gave little or no input to he chose his own wardrobe, did his own make-up, and devised his own posses. It was up to me to hit the right moment to capture in each shot. Jerris was clearly interested in the photographic image and it was not surprising to see a camera in his hands a few years later. Since moving to Atlanta he has made a name for himself in photography and other creative outlets. He has a clear and recognizable style, which I often pick out when I see his images on the net.

It was his confidence in my work, which kept me motivated towards my goals as photographer and I truly love him for that.

Jerris work can be seen at: http://www.musecube.com/JerrisMadison/index.htm and soon at http://www.itsobviousinc.net

Again to see more of my work you can go to: http://www.fotoflix.com/users/epiphany/

No comments: