Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Our First Shoot





My first photo shoot with Michiee turned out to be a several hour affair. Shooting at my favorite haunt, the abandoned train station was perfect that day… There was a light overcast that day which can sometimes be good. There is soft balanced light across the entire image. True to my style, I did very little posing of Michiee, who already had in his mind what he was after. There were a couple of interesting moments that got our hearts racing that day. The first was a rather large patch of ivy that covered the ground. We both looked at each other and the pose was obvious. We had just finished shooting some other images where Michiee was wearing a pair of black military boots and a white dress shirt… nothing else! To pose him in the ivy with out disturbing the consistency of the ground cover we placed his feet and then I gently lowered him into position… It was perfect! I made several shots of him in a pose where he looked like he was laying on a mattress made of ivy… IVY! Suddenly I realized that I had no idea about the different kinds of ivy and I rather nervously asked him if he knew… All I got was a large set of eyes looking rather nervously back at me! Well I pulled him back up as quickly as possible and in the long run everything was ok, and I’m glad as it may have been difficult explaining to a doctor just how he got poison ivy on that part of his body!The next moment was on the third floor... where a broken window let us out on to a section of open roof. Looking over to the left of our location was grand open window casing and ledge. For Michiee to get to it he would have to continue to the forth floorwhich he easily did… there was about a ten foot separation between the roof that I would shoot from and the window. Little did I know but there was an open abyss between the two that was greater than 4 floors... in fact it was more like seven with the design of the building opening up to the part of the building leading to the open tracks! I knew by the look in his face that he was clearly distressed by the distance to the ground… but he took it in stride and we completed those shots with him in nothing more than his boots. Michiee’s lithe and lanky body leant it self to an exotic look, which I think, came off well in these shots. We had several shoots after that, but that first shoot was always my favorite… it was fresh and innovative for me. There develops an unspoken agreement between the photographer and the model and when there is that trust the results will show and I feel these were some of the best images we have ever collaborated on.

No comments: