Saturday, February 18, 2006

Out of Africa: Abdi Osman



My move to Canada has facilitated my view of the world to something much larger then my previous concept back in the USA.
I have had the opportunity to meet people who are from all over the world. If you know me, you know this has me in my element. One of my new friends is a young man Abdi Osman who is originally from Somaliland in east Africa. We met though our common love for photography. Abdi has a very diverse approach to his subject matter, Architecture, Nature and best of all his portraiture. As you can see above he has also allowed me to photograph him... Abdi has a sense of composition weather he is behind or in front of the camera lens. What we have below is only a few of his extraordinary images! This is the first of several interviews with photographers who I admire. Enjoy!

Epiphany: Well thanks for coming on to the blog today... I have really appreciated your photographs for a long time... you seem to have a few different focuses in your work. Architecture, nature and your portrait work in Africa... which do you like to do the most?

Abdi: l'm more into Architecture, but lately l have grown an interest in portraits.... don't ask me why, lol

Epiphany: you have been all over the world, what was your favorite building to shoot?

Abdi: l don't really have a favorite building par se, but older building interests me a lot more than modern architecture in terms of my work.

Epiphany: I notice in your building photos that you favor doors and sometimes windows. Is there something about these that interest you?

Abdi: hmmm..... Actually l see a lot in both, they sort of remind me of our eyes...they can tell a lot about the building or the original occupants. In parts Africa doors symbolized status and in some of the oldest architecture you'll be able to see extravagant carvings. Depending on where you visit in Africa, there is a story or history behind every ornate door. I see them more like "the eyes to the soul"

Epiphany: Amazing! Speaking of Africa, It is those pictures I really like the most... Specifically the pictures of the school children. Where did you take those and how did you get hooked up with that school?

Abdi: Those photos were taken on my trip to Somaliland in a city by the Red Sea called Berbera. I was there doing some HIV/AIDs research at the local hospitals, and while I was in Berbera.... l just happened to stop by the school on my way to the beach where l came across the students and their teachers.

Epiphany: Was it easy to convince them you wanted to take pictures?

Abdi: It's funny because they actually volunteered to have their photos taken. They also reminded me of my childhood.

Epiphany: Wow! That’s great? Your pictures of the kids are very gripping, there seems to be a connection between you and them... is it just that they remind you of your child hood or was there something more?



Abdi: They reminded me a lot about my childhood and l also wanted to come and share pictures from my homeland with friends and family. Also to show that there are still people both young and old still living there that need our help, as you maybe aware that Somali is the only part of the world that does not have a recognized government.

Epiphany: Well documenting the culture is the first step in recognizing the people there.... do you feel there is a political component to your images?

Abdi: Yes...l must say that my intention was also to show my viewers that life goes on and Somaliland has a functioning government that is recognized by its citizens.

Epiphany: Well your images do show that! Would you like to go back to Africa? If so where?

Abdi: Yes I would love to go back to Africa again......most likely Ghana or Morocco.

Epiphany: That sounds great! Will you be taking your camera?

Abdi: Of course?

Epiphany: What do you want to do next with your photography?

Abdi: I'm actually in the process of producing a photo book on social issues facing the Somali Diaspora in Canada...l will keep you updated.

Epiphany: Wow that sounds interesting, if someone would like to see your work where can they go?

Abdi: they can visit my online gallery: Http://www.wooloo.org/osman

Epiphany: Are these images available for sale?

Abdi: some of the images are available for sale

Epiphany: Can people write you to inquire?

Abdi: Oh Yes!

Epiphany: hahahaah how?

Abdi: abdi.osman@gmail.com

Epiphany: Great! Well thanks for coming on... I really appreciate your work and I can’t wait to see what you have in the future! any last words before we go?

Abdi: Thank you for having me Christopher... Your readers can check out my website and feel free to make comments?

Epiphany: Absolutely! Thanks!

1 comment:

afrohomo said...

thanks for posting... his pictures are great (and he's VERY cute). lol

keep the interviews coming!